Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions please

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:53:01 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Wally" wrote...
I've got problems with tomatoes, Blight.
I had rescued all the fruit that looks to be ok
and put everything else in a heap to dry out ready
for burning (plants + infected fruit)

My problem now is, I have rather a lot of green
tomatoes and haven't a clue what to do with them.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

From our experience a lot of those fruit will develop blight as they ripen,
and rot.
An old trick was to place them in a drawer with a very ripe banana which
gives of a gas which ripens other fruit. It's why you shouldn't keep bananas
in dish with other fruit.

Spray the plants with Bordeaux Mixture next year towards the end of July and
keep them sprayed as the rain washes it off, needs doing about every two or
three weeks IME.
There are also some blight resistant varieties available and they are
resistant (Fantasio, Ferline, Legend). We have proved it with Ferline when a
few years ago they didn't get develop blight when everything around them
did. These may not be the varieties you want to grow but better some
home-grown tomatoes than none.

Bob, what are the Ferline fruit like? Worth growing?
I tried Bordeaux mixture one year and it only delayed the blight, left
the plants and fruit with a powdery blue sheen, and the fruit had to
be carefully washed, no quick tqasters while picking.
What do commercial growers use?

Pam in Bristol