Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Good read on power of naming plants and animals

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/science/11naming.html?8dpc

Thanks Bill. Good read.
I try to identify my weeds, before I pull them up. Some of them (Dead
Nettle, Sow Thistle, Urtica urens, Epilobium parviflorum) are now
encouraged in my garden.

What blew me away was the mention of some 4 year olds that can name and
identify 100 different plants in South America . Reminds me of old info
I read years ago about how many different types of snow Eskimo name.

Make me feel very ignorant a good thing.

Bill

Or names for green in Japan, names for camels in Arabic, or names of
coffee in Italy.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm