Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sutartsorric sutartsorric is offline

Default Wild Bird seed what do you use?

On 11 Aug, 17:04, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I find mine seem to prefer the sunflower seed whole rather than
dehulled, they seem to enjoy removing the shell. That said it's pretty
quiet of late anyhow.

How do you find your seed mixes?

I'm also looking for decent bulk supplies say 20/25kg at a time. Any
recommendations? thnx

The most successful mix I've found I make myself from canary seed &
sunflower hearts, mixed 2/3rds c.s, 1/3rd s.h.

Tina

Yes, I make up my own mixes but I vary the composition depending on
the time of year.

I am surprised that people mention their birds ignore porridge oats
because mine love it.

I buy black sunflower, sunflower hearts, peanuts and wheat in bulk (I
get mine from Vine House) and just mix them together in varying
quantities depending on the birds that I am aiming to attract.

I tend to put the more expensive sunflower hearts onto small tables
with feeders hanging above. This is enough to put off pigeons, doves
and other large birds which would consume the lot in 5 minutes if they
got the chance (although one day I did witness a herring gull making a
brave attempt to hang on to it). The feeders have plain sunflower
hearts, black sunflower and peanuts which keeps the tits happy.

I just mix black sunflower and wheat for the wood pigeons and collared
doves, and place that in larger quantity well away from the other
birds.

I mix crushed up breakfast cereal, mainly 'value' brand weetabix,
porridge oats, muesli and either mixed fruit or sultanas and that goes
on a separate small table for birds that like it, mainly blackbirds,
thrushes, starlings and robins.