Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cross pollination of vegetables

In article ,
K wrote:

It's the peppers that puzzle me. I can see that, since they're closely
related, they are likely to cross pollinate and next year, if you save
seed, you will get all sorts of strange hybrids. But why should it
affect this year's fruit (which was the clear implication of the book I
read)? I can't see any mechanism by which this year's fruit could be
affected, and I'm inclined to disregard the advice (well, in fact I
already have)

It can happen - for example, I believe that it does for the 'extra
sweet and sickly' varieties of sweetcorn. But it has never happened
to my peppers, and I know that it is very rare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.