Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Wild Bird seed what do you use?

"Steve" wrote in message
I find mine seem to prefer the sunflower seed whole rather than
dehulled, they seem to enjoy removing the shell. That said it's pretty
quiet of late anyhow.

How do you find your seed mixes?

I'm also looking for decent bulk supplies say 20/25kg at a time. Any
recommendations? thnx

http://www.haiths.com/lkid/325/produ...%A2-wbadvance/

or

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_de...0&prd_id=23 6

Haiths is usually a bit cheaper at 50kg although Birdfood have been known to
do special deals (e.g. I got a new 6-port feeder with 50kg which cost me
GBP2 more than 50kg and no feeder from Haiths).

The no-mess is not really true but as someone else has noted the ground
feeders and rats clean up. Living in the Somerset countryside we get a
wide range of sparrow sized LBJs (Little Brown Jobs), Tits, Finches (the
Goldfinches seem quite happy with the Haiths but they will take Niger as
well (not in preference)). We sometimes get Starlings which will eat
anything. The occasional Woodpecker on the peanuts. There are Wrens
around but I've never seen them on the feeders. One Robin this year has
been experimenting!