Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Wild Bird seed what do you use?

On 2009-08-11 19:34:03 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:34:30 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I bought some from Seapets (yes, they do birdfood) and it's gone down

treat. It's about £13.50 for 12.5kg IIRC.

Ouch. Costco £5.79 (zero VAT) 12.5kg of "Natures Feast - Feeder
Supreme".
Though looking at the ingredients the first one is wheat but does
have around 9 others.

I think it's a question of what it contains, isn't it? *The OP did say
the best for a good price, or WTTE. *Our local seed merchant/farmer's
shop isn't much difference in price but they sometimes run out of the
largest sacks.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

The best I have found is at "The Range" a very good mix from Sunflower
to millet/
I crumb a loaf of Tesco value brown bread, I slice dripping and and
place this on the breadcrumbs, top with around 1 to 1 1/2 mugs of
Tesco value Porrige oats, Heat in the microwave for 6 mins or so, mix
well and then 2 mugs of Bird seed, mix well and pack it into a couple
of 2 litre pop bottles cut off at the shoulder, ram down with the end
of a rolling pin and leave to set.
This is then put into wire netting holders the size of the bottles and
hung inside 2 wire baskets hung on end so 2 chains hold the baskets
together and the 3rd is used to hang the food from.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/Feeder.jpg
we go through 6 to 8 of these "Blocks" a week feeding our hords, we
think about 200 come to feed, from sparrows to wood pecker.
David Hill