Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default less pungent alternative to onions?

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
I LOVE onions. I enjoy growing them, and using them in a variety of
recipes and cooking.

My wife, on the other hand, loathes them. She especially hates the smell
of them cooking, but can tolerate the taste somewhat once they are cooked.

For some time, I've been wondering if there is something similar tasting
in the gardening world that doesn't smell quite as strong when being
prepared and cooked?

We've had a lot of arguments over this. I really don't want to give up
on onions, but would be willing to try an alternative to try to make my
wife happy. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

You might try using leaks or shallots. I've often used a couple or three
large leeks, all sliced up and smothering a pot roast before a long slow
roast. I've also chopped up past prime leeks and shallots, quartered an
apple and stuffed a roasting hen. This were discarded after roasting. Both
roast and chicken were delicious.

Val