Old 13-08-2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default less pungent alternative to onions?

Val wrote:
"OhioGuy" wrote in message
I LOVE onions. I enjoy growing them, and using them in a variety of
recipes and cooking.

My wife, on the other hand, loathes them. She especially hates the
smell of them cooking, but can tolerate the taste somewhat once they
are cooked.

For some time, I've been wondering if there is something similar
tasting in the gardening world that doesn't smell quite as strong
when being prepared and cooked?

We've had a lot of arguments over this. I really don't want to
give up on onions, but would be willing to try an alternative to try
to make my wife happy. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

You might try using leaks or shallots.

This wouild be my suggestion. Leeks in particular are easy to grow.

David