Old 13-08-2009, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Identification: Plant - big, deep purple flowers, floweringnow.

On 8/13/09 8:44 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:37:59 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/12/09 7:38 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
I was visiting a public garden last weekend and came across this
beautiful plant/shrub. Could you help me identify what it is? It is in
flower now and I'd love to have more colour in my garden at this time
of year (mid August).
Plant/shrub 4-5 foot tall and 2 foot wide.
Flowering now.
Deep purple flower heads reminding me of a pinepple sage flowerhead in
shape, but not colour or size.
Deep glossy green leaves.
2 photos are here.
http://tinyurl.com/l89ahs

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but
no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith

--
judybby

Judy
Although the blooms look deep blue to me it could be
one of the Salvia guaranitica varieties
There are several: Argentine Skies, Black and Blue, Blue Ensign,
Purple Ensign
google Salvia guaranitica and you will find several photos to compare.
Emilie

It looks like asiatic daylily to me. They're in full bloom in middle
TN right now. I'm going by the second picture.

Kate - could be wrong

Daylilies are not blue - and the leaves are all wrong

This is the plant I think of as an asiatic daylily

http://tinyurl.com/nou6jn

That's a spiderwort - not a lily of any sort. Daylilies are hemorcallis.