Old 13-08-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Cherries

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
Suttons sell Cherry 'Regina'. I'm sure they'd be pleased to answer your
questions. I have grown cherries successfully until my cats got too old
to patrol the tree. They're not that difficult, if you can keep the
birds off. 'Regina' is self-fertile, which would help.

Wonderful, thank you

Do you anticipate any particular problems?

Hahaha you don't realise just what I new gardener I am!!

:~) Well, we were all newbies once. You'll be an expert in no time.

I don't know in what form Suttons sell their cherries; they can be
fan-trained, standard tree and dwarf tree. My trees were both standard
trees on dwarfing rootstocks (sorry, can't remember which) growing to about
15ft (4-5mtrs-ish). My current plum tree (same family, Prunus) is
fan-trained and it's a good space-saving way of growing cherries (or plums)
if you've got a wall or fence in good light. Training them in one plane
means all forms of care (pruning, spraying if you must, netting) are so
much easier; as is harvesting, because you fix the boundaries of growth.
Don't be frightened by the prospect of training; it is so straight-forward.
My plum training tends to be nearer 'espalier' than 'fan', simply because I
grow mine on a ready-made grid of wires (something akin to norfencing) and
it's easier for me that way. You must remember, though, *never* to prune in
wet or frosty weather, as this can let Silver Leaf disease into the cuts.
Silver Leaf can kill trees if not cut out in time - if it can be cut out. I
either prune in 'flaming' june or a hot, dry day in July. Unless you make a
really big cut, you won't need to use arboreal wound paint. Usually, by the
time you get the tin out, the damage is done anyway, in which case you're
just sealing the pathogen in.

Cherry trees grow very easily and are uncomplicated. However, they must
have pollination, moisture and calcium (to make the stone).
..........Aaarrgh! I've got to dash out! So sorry .... will catch up later.
Why not have a browse on Suttons site in the meantime?

All the best.
Spider