Old 14-08-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Bring fish indoors or not?

"john royce" wrote in message
We recently lost some goldfish to the local heron. We came up with the

idea of buying a thickish plastic netting (with a big mesh about 6.5cm

[3
ins] that is used to fix climbing plants to a wall) and laying this
netting just below the surface of the pond so that it did not look too
conspicous.

It can gillnet and kill your fish. Better to put it at least 8" or more
above the water.

The other day out of the two fish in the pond we found one fish missing

and the other laying on the lawn nearby. We are wondering If it was t

he
heron again? It is the only culprit we can think of here [london, u.k.

].
We thought that the netting would have been too worrying for the heron,

as
we have been told that even some fishing line placed around the edge of

pond puts it in fear of a trap.

The main part of this question is that there are minute black fish stil

in the pond, which must be baby goldfish. There is also a frog (or is

it
a toad we dont know how to tell) in the pond. Are these very tiny fish

in
danger of being eaten by the frog or anything else?

Frogs will eat them when they're big enough to catch their attention.

If so then we would bring them indoors to a tank. Thanks for any
advice.

Stretch a fine black bird net over the water supported by those cheap
plastic or metal garden fences. They're 100% effective in keeping water
birds and large frogs out of your pond.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.