Old 14-08-2009, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default micro irrigation

Balvenieman wrote:
jeff wrote:

I'm thinking about micro irrigation (drip irrigation) for my micro
garden.

If you want to stay low-tech and low-cost, try one or two of those
soaking hoses made from recycled tires and see whether they're suitable.
A flow-restricting washer ensures that water just oozes from the hose
along its length, with no spray or puddling. I've found that two
25-footers, with an average flow rate of .75 US gal/min (each), work
well in each of my 3'x8' raised beds. I charge mine through a simple
hose-end valve manifold; the hose has a (inexpensive) 25psi inline
regulator to provide a fairly constant flow rate: I'm on a private
residential water well so system pressure is variable.

I think with my separated plant locations I'll go with the drippers.
I do have a friend with continuous beds (and in sorry need of watering).
I see the soakers cheaply and I think this would be a good plan for her.

If there is a hassle, it is moving the supply hose from bed to bed
but I am able to rotate watering easily and to monitor volume simply by
timing.