Old 14-08-2009, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default micro irrigation

jeff wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
jeff wrote:
I'm thinking about micro irrigation (drip irrigation) for my micro
garden. I've noticed that leaving the garden alone for a few days
during the dog days of summer is not beneficial.

Any pointers om either equipment or technique?

Jeff

How big is a microgarden? Is it indoors or out?

Outdoors. 6 cukes, 4 cantalope, 3 honeydew, 2 tomatoes, carrots, bell
pepper, zuchimi, 3 blueberries, a peach, a grape and a pathetic
strawberry.
"Peanuts", by the groups standard!

Jeff

In these parts you can buy a kit which would handle that, or make it up
yourself. You need a roll of 1/2 in polypipe, a couple of dozen drippers on
drop lines, some joiners, plugs, bends and tees and a timer switch to go on
the tap. The installation is fairly simple, the shop should have sample
layouts etc to guide you. You will need to experiment with the number and
position of drippers and the length of watering to get the right application
of water for your water pressure and layout, aiming for few deep waterings
rather than many shallow ones. Put the drippers under the mulch! Remember to
adjust the regime according to the weather as hot dry conditions will need
much more water than cool damp.

David