Old 14-08-2009, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Identification: Plant - big, deep purple flowers,floweringnow.

On 8/13/09 3:58 PM, in article
,
"mleblanca" wrote:

On Aug 13, 6:16 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/13/09 7:25 AM, in article , "Val"

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Do recall which one it was. There are only a few I can grow in my zone 5
garden and have live. (them winter winds really scour the long bed)

Cheryl

I don't know which one it was, Cheryl. I took a blossom stem to a nursery to
have it identified since I'd never seen a blue salvia at that time. All they
told me was that it was a salvia.

Val

I know how that goes. I wish salvia were a touch hardier, I love the blue

Thanks Val

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
S. guaranitica is native to South America; Brazil, Paraguay,
Argentina.
the lowest zone I found was 7a, most say 8. one temp given was -12C.
I am in 8b or 9 and sometimes it freezes here unless it is in a very
protected
spot with mulch.
Possibly you could grow it as an annual, or maybe in a container (BIG
one)
and protect it over winter.
That blue is really "electric" and the cultivar 'Blue and Black' is
stunning!

Emilie
NorCal

Heck, it gets that cold in my basement. Would it have the same impact as a
first year plant?

Cheryl