Old 14-08-2009, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default micro irrigation

Billy wrote:
In article , jeff
wrote:

I'm thinking about micro irrigation (drip irrigation) for my micro
garden. I've noticed that leaving the garden alone for a few days during
the dog days of summer is not beneficial.

Any pointers om either equipment or technique?

Jeff

Get a pressure regulator. A 3/4" tubing (IIRC) take the water to the
1/4" drip line. The drip lines are connected to the tubing with a
piercing tool and connectors.

The anecdotal evidence I've been reading seems to imply problems with
the connections. Are these fairly reliable or does this vary by
application or brand? Someone mentioned tees. I suppose your first bit
of advice about the pressure regulator helps enormously with the
connection problem.

I'm thinking that the parts are interchangeable from brand to brand.
I suppose I need to actually look at these and I haven't yet. I wish I
could squeeze another 24 hours in the day, friends have needed help...
unfortunately it's mostly been with moving!

Jeff

The emitters on the 1/4" drip line will
deliver a predetermined amount of water (.25, .50, 1.0 gal/hr) at
intervals of 6" or 12" (at least that is what I use) for 20 ft..
Connectors are 1/4" straight, right angle, or T. You'll also need some
little plastic posts to hold the tubing in place. I haven't used a timer
but that should be easy. I turn mine on in the morning (every other or
third day) while getting the paper. An hour later, the watering is done,
I turn them off, take my shower and go to work. It's easy :O)