Old 14-08-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default shallots versus onions

"sutartsorric" wrote ...

I have never tried elephant garlic, but watching the programme I
wondered whether they actually tasted as strong as the smaller bulb
varieties? The variety we have is Solent Wight which have done quite
well, but our onions this year have been decimated by the wet weather
in July. Many have just rotted inside and I am mounting a desperate
struggle to dry the remaining ones out enough so they will keep long
enough through the Autumn for me to use them.

Elephant Garlic isn't Garlic it's a leek cousin so does not taste like
garlic at all. Mild and leeky, we grew it once and won't bother again.
We tried Solent White a few years ago and weren't impressed with their
growth, taste or keeping ability.

Your onions shouldn't rot inside no matter how wet it's been in July, have
you got White Rot on your land? White fluffyness near the base of the bulb,
roots rotted off, bulb eaten into or even soft, squidgy and smelly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden