Old 14-08-2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Aerator vs duckweed

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

As requested, here is what the pond looks two days after I threw in
the aerator from the bank.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...g122009004.jpg
I know it doesn't look like much, but I really don't expect anything
in a hurry. In the time lapse photos you can see the duckweed blanket
move back and forth, east and west, or left and right as you look at
the picture, some 8-9 times a day. In the background, it seems like
cracks may be beginning to form, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Is it discouraging it, or just compacting it? Have you asked
your local county agents [in NY I'd ask Envirnmental Conservation- and
Cooperative Extension folks- don't know what they're called in your
part of the world] for advice? My instinct is that a couple
sterile grass carp couldn't do any harm.

Cornell University, in NY, is always experimenting, so I give them a
call on lots of stuff. I googled for this one and found their pond
page.

http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/Pond/Com...c.htm#duckweed
They suggest aeration and grass carp.g Guess we covered that.
[they also mention a rake- which I had thought of, but in a more
automated, giant vacuum type device that works when you're sleeping.]

Jim