Old 14-08-2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
matthelliwell matthelliwell is offline

Default Bring fish indoors or not?

On 13 Aug, 20:33, "john royce" wrote:
We recently lost some goldfish to the local heron. We came up with the

idea
of buying a thickish plastic netting (with a big mesh about 6.5cm [3 ins]
that is used to fix climbing plants to a wall) and laying this netting ju

st
below the surface of the pond so that it did not look too conspicous.

The other day out of the two fish in the pond we found one fish missing a

nd
the other laying on the lawn nearby. We are wondering If it was the

heron
again?

Probably unless your local cats have got lucky.

It is the only culprit we can think of here [london, u.k.]. We
thought that the netting would have been too worrying for the heron, as w

have been told that even some fishing line placed around the edge of a po

nd
puts it in fear of a trap.

Depends on the heron I think. Fish line around the edges and over the
pond seemed to help when I tried it. They don't see the line and walk/
fly into it. I suspect a net under the water wouldn't make much
difference as they'd just stand on the edge.

I've also got a plastic heron which, to my surprise, seems to be
working.

The main part of this question is that there are minute black fish still

in
the pond, which must be baby goldfish. There is also a frog (or is it

toad we dont know how to tell) in the pond.

Theres not much difference between UK frogs and toads. Frogs are more
aquatic so if its in the pond, its probably a frog. If its in the
flower beds, its probably a toad.

Are these very tiny fish in
danger of being eaten by the frog or anything else?
If so then we would bring them indoors to a tank.

The might frogs will have some of them but enough normally survive to
give you more than enough fish without taking any special precautions.

Matt