Old 15-08-2009, 11:02 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Sean Houtman[_2_] Sean Houtman[_2_] is offline

Default Name these plants please.

wrote in
:

For #2, There are only 2 Tetraclea native to Arizona, here is the
list:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?
searchTxt=tetraclea&searchType=
Sciname&stateSelect=US04&searchOrder=1&imageField. x=0&imageField.y=0

Tetraclea coulteri, the leaves are shaped differently:
http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/200...-wrinklefruit/

Tetraclea viscida (aka: Trichostema brachiatum):
The leaves are different:
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/de...?SpCode=TRIBRA

If you are sure it's in the Verbenaceae family, then I will sift
through all the Genera that are native to AZ.

That's why I said it resembles, the Tetraclea that it resembles would be
T. coulteri ssp angustifolia. As far as being sure it is in the
Verbenaceae, I'm not so certain that Tetraclea is in the Verbenaceae,
apparently some botanists assign it to Lamiaceae, however... I actually
lean toward the possibility that it is a 4 stamened member of the
Boraginaceae with not much to support that besides round stems and upper
leaves becoming alternate. The next time I see one in the wild I intend
to rip it apart and look for a staminode.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms