Old 15-08-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Gardeners world right now :::Question.

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:05:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:29:06 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message

from aquachimp contains these words:
It could be down to a fault at your local transmitter. Try asking a
neighbour whose aerial is pointing in the same direction as yours
Hmm thanks; No aerial... Digital telly.... new telly too. "hd ready"
'n all. Hmph.
If you are on cable, and if your cable company gets its feed from a
transmitter, your TV signal would be affected by
problems at that transmitter.

As the UK digital changeover is gradually rolled out, transmitters
keep adjusting their channel settings
and a digital TV will need rescanning. Try a re-scan and see if
that helps.

Also, many areas still receive both analogue and digital transmitter
signals (and a new TV can accept either).

If your on screen signal is subnormal its also possible that you're
inadvertently watching
the analogue signal on your digital TV :-) (easily done on ours by
bodging the wrong button on the zapper).
Aquachimp is in the lowlands,

Thanks. I knew he used to be but looked at his uk address and
thought he might have returned.

it is fairly normal for cable companies to forget
to enable subtitles. Our cable company frequently forgets to provide
BBC 3 and
BBC 4. BBC Prime which is exclusively for those outside UK no longer has
subtitles. Queries sent to BBC Prime asking why have been ignored.

Just as a matter of interest, were the BBC Prime soundtracks and
subtitles in Dutch or English or a mix?

Everything is in English. The subtitles were in English too.

I'm just watching the old Onedin Line TV series on DVD; a version
that must have been dubbed for the Dutch market.
The sound track is all Dutch and the subtitles are English. From what
you say I'm wondering if it was mastered from BBC Prime.

I doubt if BBC Prime is capable of anything so complicated. Maybe they made it
like that by accident but not deliberately.
I get BBC Prime as part of a cable package, I would never pay extra for it.

Freesat ITV midland has been missing its subtitles for some time now,
but BBC is fine.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.