Old 15-08-2009, 01:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Bring fish indoors or not?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:33:47 EDT, "john royce"
wrote:

We recently lost some goldfish to the local heron. We came up with the idea
of buying a thickish plastic netting (with a big mesh about 6.5cm [3 ins]
that is used to fix climbing plants to a wall) and laying this netting just
below the surface of the pond so that it did not look too conspicous.

The netting needs to be above the pond, high enough the heron can't jab
through.

If you're concerned about looks. Fishing line around the edges but far
enough away from the pond that the heron can't reach over would be better,
imho. I have fishing line going from my upper deck to the top of a 6 foot
fence plus flashy bird tape. Then a short plastic chain fence so the heron
can't walk up. It has worked here... and for good measure a motion
sprinkler, but I don't think the herons have even bothered to land to test
that.

puts it in fear of a trap.

Being a protected bird, I don't think they even know what a trap is, as who
ever traps them?

If so then we would bring them indoors to a tank. Thanks for any advice.

Wouldn't hurt to bring a few inside if you can. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us