Old 15-08-2009, 08:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
dpb[_2_] dpb[_2_] is offline

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

Rod Speed wrote:
dpb wrote:
Yard Guy wrote:

What's the verdict on these things? Are they effective?

I've seen no independent testing results that indicated they're more
effective than alternatives tested--which is pretty much why they're
not particularly widespread; it appears that most of the glowing
testimonials are either sponsored "research" (read advertising hype)
or self-justification of the $$ spent to avoid admitting have been
suckered.
It's been a while since I looked but google found several studies a
while back from various land-grant universities, etc., that concluded
they're of minimal help if any...

That can only be because some werent that well designed.

Its been known for a long time now what attracts mosquitos.

May be so; as noted the testing results I remember seeing didn't
demonstrate significantly higher preferential capture rates for the
devices. Particularly, they weren't effective for anything even
remotely approaching the acreage coverage claims iirc...

There are likely newer studies available; others are welcome to pursue
it. Seems like it was LSU extension maybe(???) that had some of the
most extensive that I saw previously but I'm not certain of that any
longer....