Old 16-08-2009, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Can anyone tell us what this insect is....

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Francis" wrote in message

"Francis" wrote in message
.....or may become?

Found today behind the curtains in a bedroom.

Not strictly gardening, but it has arrived from the garden.

I know it's not good form to reply to ones own post but have now
carefully removed the creature from rad and taken more pics.
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/IMG_9566.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/IMG_9564.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/IMG_9565.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/IMG_9568.jpg

Despite care, some of the hairy bits have come off, as can be seen.
Now in a ventilated jamjar in the same room.

Thanks
Francis

Clothes moth cocoon?

It is likely to be the cocoon of a very hairy caterpillar which has used its
hairs as protection whilst in its pupal stage, so that ought to limit the
search. Do you have (or did you have) a plant in that room, or just outside
that room, which may have been the food plant of the caterpillar stage?
That information togther with the season may help identify it.

Two other things i) be wary of the hairs as they may be urticacious; ii)
if you are keeping the casing until (if) it produces the adult form, it may
ultimately need more space, esp. if it becomes a moth a butterfly which will
need to expand its wings without harming them. I suggest you transfer it to
a large plastic box, then continue to keep a close eye on it. When you spot
movement or change, careful introduce a sponge or tissue soaked in sugary
water so it can drink and feed.

Spider