Old 17-08-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
DirtBag DirtBag is offline

Default Raised Beds

Balvenieman said

DirtBag wrote:

Does this 1' seem wide enough? Should I narrow my 3' bed to 2' and
spend the remaining foot widening the path?

Any guidance appreciated.

Make the effort to go ahead and build free-standing beds.
Disregarding the possibility of damage to your house, you are almost
certain to need access to all sides of all beds even though they may
be only 2' wide. No, 1' is not nearly wide enough. You'll need room
for tools, baskets, flats, containers, wheelbarrow, cart, etc. not to
mention working room between beds of tall or trellised veggies. Been
the DW built our original raised beds many years ago and after the
first season we found ourselves rebuilding virtually all of them in
order to allow more room between. A needless exertion that could have
been prevented with a little forethought.

Ok, I'm coming around ... ;-)

I'm thinking of 4 beds, each 2'x5', each separated with a 1.5' path along
the 5' side

Alas, these beds are placed 1' from the side of the house.

This fits within my 12.5' x 6' rectange pretty well.

I guess when I start actually building these, things may change. ;-)

Thanks for all your guidance.