Old 17-08-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Raymond Hubbard (over 6', ex-Para and boxer)

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" sacha@cupboard wrote in message
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.

Hubbard introduced commercial biological control in the 1960¢s building
on
his own experiments and with the help ob Lee Valley horticultural
station.

His correspondence with Russian botanists led MI5 to briefly suspect him
of
spying after they mistook the use of horticultural terms for code

Growing up on his family nursery in Essex, he entered the industry in
1948
at the age of 16 as a grower of salad crops.

Today he owns Hill House Nursery in Landscove, Devon which he runs
jointly
with his son.

The firm crops more than 2000 varieties os nursery stock and Hubbard has
wone acclaim as a breeder and plant finder. Notable achievements include
Plectranthus cilatus ¡Sasha¢, Phormium ¡Lord Jersey¢, Crocosmia
¡Krakatoa¢,
Dianthus ¡Old mother Hubbard¢ and Nemesia ¡Bluebird¢, which has sold more
than 11 million plants, bred under licence worldwide.

During his 60 year career he has only been away from horticulture to
complete his National service, during which he built an English country
garden for the officers mess in Egyptian Saraha Desert.

Jack Sidders Horticulture Week
14th August 2009

Now look at me in awe, and realise how much better I am than any of you
common oafs.

Hey, I may be common but I'm not an oaf!

Oaf enough to feed trolls.

mark