Old 17-08-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Raymond |Hubbard

On 2009-08-15 16:51:54 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Dave Hill wrote:
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
snip
*APPLAUSE*

Thank you! *I'll pass that on!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

I *love* the story about being suspected of spying because botanical
jargon was mistaken for code by MI5 - it makes for a supremely cool
dinnertime conversation piece today, but I wonder how traumatic the
whole thing was at the time?
Anyway, well done to your husband - nice write up.

Caít()

Thanks, Cat, I'll pass that on. *The spying thing was very funny and I
don't think it worried him too much at the time - he's a bit too
laidback for that. *;-)) * He was exchanging telegrams with
horticultural experts on the use of e.g. encarsia and several telegrams
sometimes came and went in a day. *The local postmistress in their
small Essex village was so excited about receiving telegrams from
Russia that she used to deliver each one herself. *I think it was quite
a brief episode and of course, he knew nothing about it until it was
over. *But I do love the idea of my husband as a kind of horticultural

Fighting his arch rival Gold Tuber....

:-)
Caít()