Old 17-08-2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Water Hyacinth blooming

I've been thinking about asking why my Water Hyacinth quit blooming
after a few blooms this spring. Then, yesterday I thinned things out
at Pug Pond & took 5gallons of WH & Water lettuce off the surface.

Today I have 2 Water Hyacinth blooms. Is that coincidence, or was the
shock what they needed to get blooming again?

Or is it the weather? We finally got some heat here in NY- the
warmest it has been since April. [Really- 90degrees here today for the
first time since April 23- weird weather]

Both the lettuce and hyacinth have been multiplying profusely. I
bought 2 of each in May- and now they threaten to cover my 8x12 pond.

I'll be bringing some of my pond life inside for the winter- Does
anyone have luck overwintering water lettuce or Water Hyacinth
indoors?
[I'm thinking of a 50gallon aquarium as winter quarters for a few
Rosey Reds, the Apple snails, an Elephant Ear some anacharis and the
floaters.]

Thanks,
Jim