Old 18-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Jardin Jardin is offline
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by net1961 View Post
we have a fairly large plot that use to be a vegatable plot.but due to my partner having bad ankles and me having back problems we can no longer keep on top of it.we can't afford to pay a gardener so i have to tackle it myself.but the soil is rock solid ,i can't even get a spade into it.the weeds and clumps of grass are impoosible to dig up.the only time it's easier to dig is after heavy rainfall .but even then i find the rotovator bounces off the clods of soil once it has dried out.is there any way i can get over these problems.i can't do too much at a time because of my back.
You could try a raised bed on top of the clay. Vitax Clay Breaker might help but that is a multi year process. Best of luck