Old 18-08-2009, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Solution to mice and birds in cantalope

AndyS said:

Andy comments:

This year, as soon as the fruit got to baseball size, I took the
WalMart plastic
bags that they put your groceries in, and wrapped the fruit...

I just carefully put the bag around the fruit, and tied it loosely,
giving plenty of
room for the fruit to grow.....

I am getting a good yield, and NONE of the wrapped fruits have
been attacked
by predators..... A couple of the fruits I missed have been eaten, as
in last year....

It seems to work......

Nylon stockings/pantyhose legs used to do the trick when I grew melons.
The hosiery expands with the melons, and doesn't trap moisture.

Haven't grown melons in a while. Wilt is the problem and cuke beetles
are the vector. I'm unwilling to spray (lots and lots) as a solution.

(I don't grow cucumbers any more, either. I was growing seedless
cukes in a screened box, but began to trouble with fungus.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored