Old 18-08-2009, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strelizia question

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Does anyone in this group grow Strelizia, or know how to divide it, please?

Yes and no, respectively, though I have divided it.

I get the impression it could be an horrendous job, possibly somewhat
destructive, but there is no detail to guide me. I would *really*
appreciate some advice.

That's my experience. I had to, because it had cracked its pot, and
I couldn't lift a larger one. I cut through its base and attempted
to do as little damage to the roots as possible, but had to cut out
and remove about half of them (because I had cut them through higher
up). The plants did not flower the next year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.