Old 18-08-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default What to do with windfall apples?

"Spider" wrote in message

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
My 'Ashmeads Kernal' is well loaded with fruit and harvest is scheduled
for mid-October.

Meanwhile, it is shedding a lot of small apples - some of which show
signs
of insect damage.

* Should I be composting this windfall?
* Just leave it where it falls?
* Or maybe I should be destroying it to disrupt pest life-cycles?
* Is there a good culinary use for undamaged fallers?

Thanks!

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove the fruit

I see you have plenty of responses for culinary use. However, for those
really damaged fruit, why not put them out for the birds. You could also
chop some up, add a little sugar and put it for hungry butterflies.

Or take then to your local stables, horses will eat them.