Old 18-08-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What to do with windfall apples?

moghouse writes
On Aug 17, 9:19*pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:

This aspect of the thread has reminded me of our local butcher just
after the war, when rationing was still in force. He used to tell the
housewives about how one of his witty customers had told him that
there was more meat in a pound of windfalls than there was in a pound
his sausages. My mother could not understand that I thought the funny
bit was, that having told the story, the butcher always added "Mind
you, it ain't true, of course".

Back in the 1960s, which was a really bad time for food -it was the rise
of the white sliced loaf, the white-shelled egg, and everything factory
made - our local butcher was in the local newspaper, having been had up
by Trading Standards for insufficient meat in his sausages. Apparently.
it caused a quadrupling of his trade as people rushed to the one and
only butcher in the area still making his own.

--
Kay