Old 16-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Loquats?

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Any experience of growing them outdoors? Gotta nice south facing
wall where it might be worth a try.

They scarcely need that in the warmer parts, though it would doubtless
help them to fruit. All they really need is protection from the worst
of the freezing winds, even in Cambridge. This is why you will see a
lot that have grown upright to wall height and been cut back at that
level - they then reshoot from lower down.

That is second hand information, but based on a fair amount of
observation. I grew a couple from seed, and kept one as a pot plant
for some years, but gave it away as it got too big. I don't have a
suitably protected place in my garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.