Old 18-08-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Strelizia question

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Does anyone in this group grow Strelizia, or know how to divide it,
please?

Yes and no, respectively, though I have divided it.

I get the impression it could be an horrendous job, possibly somewhat
destructive, but there is no detail to guide me. I would *really*
appreciate some advice.

That's my experience. I had to, because it had cracked its pot, and
I couldn't lift a larger one. I cut through its base and attempted
to do as little damage to the roots as possible, but had to cut out
and remove about half of them (because I had cut them through higher
up). The plants did not flower the next year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for responding, Nick. It's obviously going to be tricky. I'm not
worried about the lack of flowers next year (that seems to be expected), but
I am worried about the lack of a plant :~(. I'll just have to do it with my
fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Spider