Old 18-08-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Lawnmowers

Frederick Williams wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Frederick Williams wrote:
I will be grateful if anyone can recommend a lawnmower for a small
garden.

Cylinder mowers _must_ have a thermal cut-out (or whatever it might be
called). What considerations are relevant if choosing between rotary
and hover mowers?

[Why are they called "rotary" mowers? Something rotates in all of them,
doesn't it?]

If replying please keep in mind that you are addressing a person with
limited knowledge and brain-power.

what size is the lawn

Tiny: twenty four square metres.

what sort of finish do you want - stripes or not

Finish? I just want it short!

Will you be cutting regularly

If my wife has her way I will.

Is your grass often wet when you want/need to cut it.

It seems so ('need' that is, it's never a case of 'want', see previous
line).

Electric or petrol

The former probably.

How fit are you (to push or need a mower with driven wheels)

Engine- rather than human-driven is essential.

Give us some clues and we can help.

Is that what is known as a hostage to fortune?

It may be relevant that it is uneven.

OK rough lawn - rotary is best - will cut when wet but not long and wet.

Agree thermal cutout will stop the smoke escaping.

Wheeled version if you want grass pick up

but I would avoid the hovers that claim to pick up.

Try your local garden machinery shop to get information as to which
machines have cutouts and then buy as cheaply as possible elsewhere or
on line.

Good Luck

Bob