Old 18-08-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default glyphosate and councils

tony kitching wrote:
A council worked arrived at my garden 30th July on a windy day and
sprayed
glyphosate randomly about by the look of it

Pure glyphosate is about as poisonous weight for weight as the caffeine
in instant coffee. It is the wetting agents in the commercial weedkiller
formulations that are a bit nasty.

My herbs and flowers were the first to show damage and some flowers
look like they are completely dead.

How long did it take to show damage? Glyphosate is typically slow acting
and new growth yellows gradually over a two week period.

Most of the other common weedkillers are faster acting with the top
growth burning up and dessicating in sunshine or distorting wildly.

I caught all of the spraying on CCTV and sent it to the council.

What were the council workers doing on your land anyway?

The man I spoke to said that the spray only kills weeds and will not
affect my veg

OK. So we have positive proof that their spokesman is clueless.

He then said it was safe to eat my veg because the department that are
responsible said it was sprayed on the path

On paths they usually tend to use something more aggressive and
persistent with a germination inhibitor. Glyphosate might have been used
but it would not be my first choice for weeds on a path.

If they did it on a windy day and your CCTV shows that clearly then take
it to the Health and Safety. It is irresponsible to spray in windy
conditions and a certified operative should know that.

How do I get the dead plants tested for the weed killer ?

Expensively.
Any contract ultratrace analysis lab will do it for a price.

I think his advise was not very good and I did use some sage that had
been sprayed the same day and my gums were bleeding when I brushed them
at bedtime

Hard to say that this was due to pesticide residues.

I had a swollen gum for a few days
Citizens advice have given me an appointment, so I'll have to wait and
see if anything can be done

Local papers and/or regional TV news with photos are your best bet.

Regards,
Martin Brown