Old 18-08-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Strelizia question

"beccabunga" wrote in message

;861542 Wrote:
In article
,
Spider
lid wrote:-

Does anyone in this group grow Strelizia, or know how to divide it,
please? -

Yes and no, respectively, though I have divided it.
-
I get the impression it could be an horrendous job, possibly somewhat
destructive, but there is no detail to guide me. I would *really*
appreciate some advice.-

That's my experience. I had to, because it had cracked its pot, and
I couldn't lift a larger one. I cut through its base and attempted
to do as little damage to the roots as possible, but had to cut out
and remove about half of them (because I had cut them through higher
up). The plants did not flower the next year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Strelitzia needs to be very pot-bound before it flowers well. We
divided one this spring, and it has taken 4 months before the main
section started to show new growth. It will probably be another 12-24
months before it flowers again.

Turn it out of its pot, cut through where there is a gap in the tuber,
retaining as many roots as possible. Repot in well-draining compost,
making sure that the pot is going to be able to restrict it fairly
soon. Keep watered.

--
beccabunga

Thanks, Becca', it's very helpful to know I'm looking for a tuber. I shall
have to be careful not to bruise or break it whilst prising it out of the
pot. Do you think, perhaps, that I would be wrong to attempt division and
repotting now? I have (in my ignorance) said I would, but common sense will
prevail if spring is the best time.

In this well-draining compost, should there be any soil-based compost to add
weight to the pot? I'm thinking of the large leaves which, during the
summer at least, could catch the wind? Oh, and another thing, do I need to
let the cut tuber callous over before replanting, or can I replant straight
away?

Thanks for your help so far. It's late now, so I'll look in tomorrow.
Spider