Old 18-08-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strelizia question

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Thanks, Becca', it's very helpful to know I'm looking for a tuber. I shall
have to be careful not to bruise or break it whilst prising it out of the
pot. Do you think, perhaps, that I would be wrong to attempt division and
repotting now? I have (in my ignorance) said I would, but common sense will
prevail if spring is the best time.

Er, it's not really a tuber, and certainly not A tuber. Strelitzia
has lots of fleshy roots, that get very entangled. Technically,
they may be tubers, but aren't much like potatoes :-)

You certainly don't want to do it any later in the year than now.
Whether spring would be better, I don't know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.