Old 19-08-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Tomatoes Going Black

"Pam Moore" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

snip
Now this year we have stuck to Ferline, Fantasio, and Legend (beefsteak)
all
of which are blight resistant, which is more important that any other
consideration at the moment.

Bob, have these really avoided blight?
How do you rate them for taste?

No sign of it yet but I have also recently sprayed them with Bordeaux
Mixture to make sure. A few years ago we grew Ferline amongst a row of
various other Tom varieties and whilst all around them the plants died of
blight the Ferline stayed healthy and cropped. I deliberately left the other
plants to die beside the Ferline ones just to test, eventually some of the
leaf tips showed signs of blight but it didn't spread throughout the plants.
Taste wise they are OK. Better than shop bought Toms and a lot better than
nothing.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden