Old 19-08-2009, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
robb robb is offline

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

"Yard Guy" wrote in message
I remember seeing these propane-powered mosquito traps at local

big-box
hardware stores a few years ago, but I don't think I've seen

any of them
lately. They retailed for around $300 and up to $450 if I

remember
correctly. Some brand names include Skeeter Vac and Mosquito

Magnet.

What's the verdict on these things? Are they effective?

My limited experience with the controversy stems from the many
factors that influence the effectiveness of the traps (prevailing
wind, landscaping, etc.)

I maintain 2 Liberty Plus / Mosquito Magnets (cordless 1 acre
version) for three years now.

One for me (mine) and one for in-laws (theirs).

After many attempts to find optimal locations by moving the traps
around the two properties my results are as follows.

Mine is very effective, catching lots of mosquitos and a
noticeable reduction in mosquito troubles.
Theirs is not effective, catching relatively few and having
continual mosquito troubles.

Mine is on the edge/corner of the yard at the top of a sloping
open lawn with bushes around the perimeter and away from the
house.

Theirs is at the edge of a heavily wooded lot with sloping hill,
a creek nearby, rock outcrops, oddly shaped yard and open
space/patio bordered by low thick bushes.

When i purchased my traps the hardware guy offered me an
annecdote about how one year there was a run on their mosquito
trap inventory. The traps were returned in droves with the
primary complaint being they made the mosquito problem worse.
When he asked about the location of the mosquito traps it was
mostly placed on the deck or patio. So, the traps were just
attracting the mosquitos to the areas where people did not want
them.

hth
robb