Old 19-08-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Strelizia question

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Thanks, Becca', it's very helpful to know I'm looking for a tuber. I
shall
have to be careful not to bruise or break it whilst prising it out of the
pot. Do you think, perhaps, that I would be wrong to attempt division and
repotting now? I have (in my ignorance) said I would, but common sense
will
prevail if spring is the best time.

Er, it's not really a tuber, and certainly not A tuber. Strelitzia
has lots of fleshy roots, that get very entangled. Technically,
they may be tubers, but aren't much like potatoes :-)

You certainly don't want to do it any later in the year than now.
Whether spring would be better, I don't know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks again, Nick. I have discussed doing the job in spring, but my father
is anxious to have it done now as they are running out of room in the
conservatory.

Thanks also to everyone who replied. I shall report back when the job is
done.

Spider