Old 20-08-2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Captain America Captain America is offline

Default Growing worms

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:39:50 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I would like to have worms around here so when I go fishing, I don't have to
drive a far distance and buy them. I googled, and they say to lay a
refrigerator on its side and use that for a home. Fill it with good dirt
they describe. Keep it in a cool shady place and keep moist. How hard is
it to just get some going in the garden and dig some up when one needs them?
Or is it better to have a fridge thing and have a good habitat for them?
Just how hard are they to get going and keep going?

Steve

Not difficult at all, though it will take a few weeks to get your
first "crop" of worms.

Google "worm farm" -- you'll find lots of worm farms who will sell
you worms by the 100's or 1,000's, or, you can by worm egg cases.

I built a new house last summer, moved in in July. Built six raised
beds, 12 ft X 12 ft. Purchased 500 worm egg cases. Filled the boxes
with half-and-half topsoil and compost (several tons, delivered in
dumb truck, moved one wheelbarrow load at a time !!). Raked in the
worm cases, which hatched, and now I have worms all over the place.