Old 20-08-2009, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Yard Guy Yard Guy is offline

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

Rod Speed wrote:

The location of the trap in the yard should make no difference

Wrong. You clearly dont want to be attracting mosquitos to where
the humans are.

I want the mosquitoes that ARE close to me to be attracted and captured
BY THE TRAP. That's not going to happen if the trap is 100 feet from me
in some isolated corner of the yard.

And since they work on CO2 and attractant, you
clearly will only attract mosquitos from downwind.

Wind shmind.

First you say that wind is bad for these traps to operate, now you say
that a downwind is necessary. Which one is it?

- and I would say that you want the trap to be located
where you or other people usually are in the yard -

You're wrong. That will attract mosquitos to that area

Well guess what. Just me being there will attract mosquitos to that
area. So we're back to square one.

and if the trap doesnt get them into the trap
quickly, they will start biting the humans there.

That's the problem with these things. They seem to do a terrible job at
actually capturing them.

If it's too windy for the trap to work then it's also too
windy for a mosquito to find and land on me as well.

Light wind makes it harder for mosquitos to work
out where the CO2 and smells are coming from.

Again, your statements are contradictory.

- "you clearly will only attract mosquitos from downwind"

- "Light wind makes it harder for mosquitos to work out where
the CO2 and smells are coming from"

Can a "downwind" also be a "light wind"?