Old 20-08-2009, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Growing worms

"SteveB" wrote in message
I would like to have worms around here so when I go fishing, I don't have
to drive a far distance and buy them. I googled, and they say to lay a
refrigerator on its side and use that for a home. Fill it with good dirt
they describe. Keep it in a cool shady place and keep moist. How hard is
it to just get some going in the garden and dig some up when one needs
them? Or is it better to have a fridge thing and have a good habitat for
them? Just how hard are they to get going and keep going?

I have an elderly friend who keeps garden worms in polystyrene containers in
his garage. I don't know if he harvests them from his garden or breeds tham
so that is no help to you. I do know that he keeps them in moist soil with
a moist hessian (burlap) sack on the top and just before we go out to fish,
he furkles aroudn in there and shove a few into an old margarine container
along with some soil and off we all go.

You could try harvesting some from the garden and doing as he does because
you might have problems finding then in the garden just when you want them.