Old 20-08-2009, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Can You ID This Flowering Tree?

David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/19/2009 3:03 PM, Brettster wrote:
This is a tree close to my house. The beautiful flowers have a
delightful, unique smell. I'd love to know what they are.

Here's the overall tree:

http://snipurl.com/mysterytree-1

Here's a semi-close view of the flowers:

http://snipurl.com/mysterytree-2

And finally, a close-up (possibly too close!) view of the flower:

http://snipurl.com/mysterytree-3

Thanks for your help!

BB

The leaves remind me of oleander (Nerium oleander). While the flowers
do not have the classic five-petal windmill structure, there are
double-flowered oleanders.

I thought the same but I don't know of any that has a good perfume.

David

The family that includes oleanders (Apocynaceae) also includes star
jasmine, Natal plum, and plumeria, all of which have very good
fragrances. It's possible some varieties of oleander are also fragrant.
However, when I had oleanders in my back yard, I never noticed any
fragrance.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean