Old 20-08-2009, 04:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

Yard Guy wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Yard Guy wrote

The location of the trap in the yard should make no difference

Wrong. You clearly dont want to be attracting
mosquitos to where the humans are.

I want the mosquitoes that ARE close to me
to be attracted and captured BY THE TRAP.

What I said in different words.

That's not going to happen if the trap is 100 feet
from me in some isolated corner of the yard.

Wrong if thats upwind of where you are.

And since they work on CO2 and attractant, you
clearly will only attract mosquitos from downwind.

Wind shmind.

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.

First you say that wind is bad for these traps to operate,

No I didnt.

now you say that a downwind is necessary.

I didnt say that either, particularly when its clam.

Which one is it?

Neither.

- and I would say that you want the trap to be located
where you or other people usually are in the yard -

You're wrong. That will attract mosquitos to that area

Well guess what. Just me being there will attract mosquitos to that area.

Not when the trap is more attractive to mosquitoes than the
humans are, because it puts out more CO2 than the humans do.

So we're back to square one.

Wrong, as always.

and if the trap doesnt get them into the trap
quickly, they will start biting the humans there.

That's the problem with these things.

Not with the counterflow traps that do get them quickly and you
havent been stupid enough to put them where the humans are.

They seem to do a terrible job at actually capturing them.

They obviously dont if they catch a hell of a lot of mosquitos every night.

If it's too windy for the trap to work then it's also too
windy for a mosquito to find and land on me as well.

Light wind makes it harder for mosquitos to work
out where the CO2 and smells are coming from.

Again, your statements are contradictory.

Nope.

- "you clearly will only attract mosquitos from downwind"

Doesnt say anything about when its calm, stupid.

- "Light wind makes it harder for mosquitos to work
out where the CO2 and smells are coming from"

Can a "downwind" also be a "light wind"?

Anyone with even half a clue realises that mosquotes
just arent a problem when its quite windy.