Old 20-08-2009, 04:07 PM
bigmick777 bigmick777 is offline
Registered User

Default Remove Laurel / kill stumps

Hi to all,

I recently made the decision to remove my Laurel hedge from the back of the property as it has broken the whole of the back fence and takes up a good portion of the garden - it was about 35 feet across by 8 feet high.

Anyway, I cut down the hedge to stumps (about 7 stumps in total each around 10cm).

I have now put in a new fence and it is my intention to cover over the old hedge with weed sheet / plum slate then put back border / patio plants and maybe a decking area.

Obviously, I need to ensure that the laurel doesnt grow back so what I have done so far is drill holes in each stump then fill with Sodium Chlorate powder.

I havent put the weed sheet down or slate because I wanted to see how successful the powder was. Its been several weeks now and the laurel is beginning to re-sprout.

I was just going to repeat the process then take the risk of putting down the weed sheet / several ton of slate, however, thought I would ask for guidance.

Thanks in advance, Mick.