Old 20-08-2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default Broken Asian Pear Tree

The top 5-6 feet of one of my Asian Pear trees broke off yesterday. It
wasn't that badly loaded with fruit, but we did have some high winds, and I
think the combination of wind and fruit load was just too much for it. It
broke off at about 5 1/2 feet above the ground. There are several good
branches growing below the break, but it was the main vertical growing stem
that broke. Pics he

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF6258.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF6257.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF6260.JPG

Any tree experts care to comment on whether the tree is worth keeping? I can
take some more pics if there are any particular angles you want to see.
There are several sturdy branches growing out, but the main stem snapped.
I'd like to save the tree if possible as the fruit is much sweeter then any
of my other asian pears. Is it possible to graft a branch onto the broken
stem so that it can continue to grow upwards? Or is the tree likely to do
well if I just leave it as is and let the remaining branches grow out?