Old 20-08-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default micro irrigation

"jeff" wrote in message
jeff wrote:

I'm thinking about micro irrigation (drip irrigation) for my micro
garden. I've noticed that leaving the garden alone for a few days during
the dog days of summer is not beneficial.

Any pointers om either equipment or technique?

Thanks to all. I bought a rain drip Landscape Kit. I didn't see the
Vegetable Kit which has 1/2 gallon (inline) drippers instead of 1 gallon
PC end type and more 1/4" tubing and no 1/2".

Since my garden is compact (runs of 6' to 10' max) I'm thinking the 1/4"
line will be easier to manipulate. Should I be thinking 1/4" for
everything using Ts on the 1/4" line instead of piercing the 1/2"?

What's the 10 gallon pressure compensating flow control for? I have more
than 10 1 gallon pressure compensating drippers in the kit.

Is there any info on how much typical vegetables actually need? It is
hard for me to tell when tomatoes, carrots and the blueberries need water.
The cucurbits (particularly the cukes) seem like they always do.

How do I water carrot rows? I didn't see 1/4" soaker hose. Mister, or
just keep hand watering? Or the 1/2 gallon inline every 6"?

Since I have different vegetables I wonder if I should put valves inline
for the different sections and set this up for the water frequency of
those neediest (cukes at the moment) and shut off the water to the
sections that don't need more. That seems easier than changing the flow
rate. The adjustables seem to be 1 to 10 gallon/hour. So keeping
everything in my clayish to normal soil at 1 gph and having several
sequential watering periods and turning off the sections that don't need
more water in the later sequences...

The "bad" news is that I won't be able to put in my irrigation system
because it is raining all week!

Jeff

Jeff

One thing you need to be aware of is the carrying capacity of your supply
lines. 1/2 inch tubing can only supply a maximum of 220 gallons per hour. I
don't know how much 1/4 inch can carry, but it is significantly less. This
may not be an issue for you, but it most certainly is for larger gardens.

Steve