Old 20-08-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fruit trees

Kath wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill wrote:

On 20 Aug, 12:43, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:15:14 +0100, Roy Bailey wrote:
In article , Kath
writes
What is the best way of preventing deer from eating or damaging fruit trees?
I have found, from bitter experience, that one of the most effective
ways is to string CDs around the trees so that the disks move in the
wind. The flickering from the surfaces is a very good deterrent.
Birds must be brighter than deer, or do you use Val Doonigan and Barry Manilow
Cds instead of AOL free offers?
--

Martin

Venison with apple stuffing, sounds good to me.
David Hill

Thank you for your ideas. Is deer fencing too pricey to contemplate?

Actually plain old electric fencing works pretty well, and is portable
which is nice as the deer usually get shy after giving birth in June.

Another option is high standards, and there's a sort of close fitting
metal fence that fits around the trunk like

http://www.treeboss.net/images/trunk-protection.jpg

We don't get much damage from deer in the orchard, although they love to
eat the roses and young maple shoots. Boar on the other hand seem to
have mastered shaking the trees to get at the fruit, and even knocked
down some old cider apples...

-E